Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Adventures WIth Couchsurfers & PHOENIX!!!

This weekend was my first time hosting a couchsurfer, and it was so much fun.  Jean-Michel from Quebec is taking a month to hitchhike across the US to California & David Lynch.  While he was here we went all over the city - the beach, Signature Room of John Hancock, Berlin, Millennium Park, and the most amazing night of all was last night (Sunday).

PHOENIX AT THE HOUSE OF BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!















This show sold out within the first day of tickets being on sale (at $40 each), so I figured I'd just find a scalper outside at the venue the night of the show.  BUT, thanks so much to a beautiful, wonderful friend of mine, Vijay, not only did I get in for FREE, but was able to bring TWO friends with me!!  A-maze-ing.  So Jean-Michel came along and I called my dear old friend Neil on a whim hoping he could make it from WI after he was done with work (skydiving).  He had a friend in town that came along and he also got in for free as well!

The band played a set at Lollapalooza earlier in the day so I was thinking they may be tired and play a short set or just not be up to it.  But the show was broadcast LIVE on the radio and they played their newest CD, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, all the way through, in order, and then came out for a few older songs for an encore (how's that for remembering the setlist?  :) ).

I have no words for the show, it was that electrifying and astounding.  The crowd was so fired up and dancing, singing all the lyrics right along with the band.  Such great energy!

video

After the encore the lights went out and all you could see was this thin red line making it's way through the crowd.... then the lights came on and you saw that the red line was the cord for a microphone, & Thomas Mars (vocalist) was climbing a balcony five feet away from where we were and singing!  He then crowd-surfed back to the stage in perfect form (and of course my camera ran out of memory at this point - but I will ALWAYS have that image in my mind!)

video
(Two even better videos are here:


After the show we all went to the bar and had a great time hanging out until dawn.  Neil & his friend (Zek?  Not sure how to spell it, sorry) had to work so only got 2 hours of sleep before driving back up to WI.  But before leaving, Neil gave Jean-Michel his contact info and offered to take him skydiving before he went west on his journey!!  So cool.  It's really amazing what life can offer you, so spontaneously, when you meet the right people at the right time.  Here's an adventurous Quebecer just hoping for a couch to sleep on and then a free sold-out Phoenix show and a skydiving opportunity come along.  I love life!  It was great fun having JM here and I felt a bit sad leaving him at Union Station, but I can't wait to hear of his travels.

So, I am definitely road-tripping this week to catch the other shows Phoenix is playing throughout the Midwest - they are phenomenal live and I can't wait to get on the road!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great time.
    Did you get the van fixed up after the break in?

    -Geneseo NY

    ReplyDelete